We provide a wide range of care services - not only within the hospice building, but also out in the community.
If you are unsure about any of the information below, please feel free to contact us on 01942 525566 or e-mail: email@example.com.
Day Hospice - Wigan & Leigh Hospice
For patients who require regular assessment and monitoring of their specialist palliative care needs, who would benefit from therapeutic services to improve their quality of life and maximise their potential.
- The patient must be fit to travel and spend time away from home.
- The patient's needs will be reviewed regularly to ascertain whether continued attendance is appropriate.
Inpatient care - Wigan & Leigh Hospice
Specialist palliative inpatient care may be required for:
- Assessment and review of symptom control.
- Terminal care.
- Transitional care (to facilitate discharge from hospital to home).
- We are unable to offer pre-booked planned respite.
- We are also unable to provide long-term care. Admission is usually for a maximum of two weeks, unless the patient's condition is too unstable for them to be cared for elsewhere.
Community palliative care nurse specialist team - Wigan & Leigh Hospice
For patients who require specialist assessment and management of symptoms or psychosocial support in their own home.
- The patient should usually be known to the district nurses.
The community palliative care nurse specialist team work to the following levels of intervention. Formal referral is required for Levels 2 to 4, but not Level 1.
- Level 1: advice to fellow professionals but no direct patient contact .
- Level 2: a single joint advisory visit requested by a professional carer.
- Level 3: short-term intervention for advice on, and management of, complex problems.
- Level 4: long-term intervention for patients and their significant others with intractable, complex problems.
Hospital palliative care team
For hospital inpatients:
- Patients (except those with lung cancer) may be referred by telephone to the hospital Macmillan nurses, telephone: 01942 822009 or 01942 244000 ext. 2009.
- Patients with lung cancer should be referred to the lung cancer and palliative care specialist nurse, telephone: 01942 822260 or 01942 244000 ext. 2260.
Medical outpatient clinics - Wigan & Leigh Hospice or Thomas Linacre Centre
For patients who have complex or rapidly changing symptoms, which require specialist medical assessment and management:
- The patient must be fit to attend clinic. Please ensure you specify whether the patient has a preference for the hospice or hospital clinic.
Please note: routine follow-up for patients without active problems cannot be provided.