Hospice running costs
Whilst all our services are delivered at no charge to our patients and their families or carers, there is a significant cost attached to providing our wide range of services.
What does it cost?
It costs over £5million each year to run the hospice. In 2017/18, around 29% of this total came from the NHS or other statutory sources. The rest – nearly £10,000 every day - had to be raised through our shops, donations from the community, our weekly lottery, legacies and fundraising events.
Find out more about our running costs from our annual accounts.
How you can help
- Playing the weekly Hospice Lottery is a fantastic way to help by providing us with a regular income we can depend on. It costs just £1 per week to play and currently pays for the equivalent of nearly 800 days of individual care on the inpatient unit. There is a guaranteed top prize of £1,000 every week with 29 other prizes available.
- Support our hospice shops by either donating saleable items or visiting one of our 13 shops across the Borough. Our shops are run entirely by volunteers with a small head office team based at the hospice and contribute more than £600,000 each year towards the running of the hospice.
- Take part in one of our many fundraising events throughout the year or organise your own event. The fundraising team will able to help if you need ideas or some guidance.
- Leave a legacy or a donation in a will. Legacy income is vital for the hospice and often makes the difference between us balancing our books or running at a loss. We are so grateful for all of those who have remembered the hospice in this way.
- Volunteer your time. We have a range of volunteer opportunities available in our shops or in the hospice itself. Even if you have just a couple of hours each week please get in touch if you'd like to find out more.
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter @wl_hospice. Simply by following us on social media you can help to raise awareness of the hospice.
- Make a donation by post, over the phone or drop into the hospice between 8.30am and 8.00pm. You can also donate online.
- Businesses can join our Business Support Group or select the hospice as their Charity of the Year. Please contact the fundraising team for more information on 01942 525566 / email@example.com
We support an area with a population of around 320,000 people. To continue to provide care - and to grow as the needs of the community grows - we really value whatever help you can provide.